Saturday, August 15, 2009

A Strange Place to Rest

The chair in the middle of the Cuyahoga River
Belies explanation.
Not sure how it arrived there. Or why.
Maybe it was hurled from the restaurant nearby
In a midnight brawl.
Or perhaps thrown as garbage with a wobbly leg.
Somehow the river doesn’t mind.
The waters make room and flow
Around now-warped legs and seat.
The fish don’t care and the birds don’t
Take a second glance.

Only I am wondering about this chair.
Maybe I just need a place to sit and
This concrete I am perched on is
Just not snug enough.
But I know that there is more.
For my life flows around me,
Currents that force through
And under and around.
And I stand out in my world
Like a chair in a river,
Contemplating how I managed
To get to this place and
What to do about it now.

No comments: