Thursday, February 24, 2011

All I (K)need

What happens to a dream deferred? Or a dream put on the back burner while Christmas and moving and life barge in? Well the dream dries up a little. The heart is still there but the pieces don’t all fit. This is like me and my running.

After my late fall debacle of missing the racing registration deadline, my training has gone south in a giant basket of…well, laundry! And boxes and boxes of life. Man that is harder than it looks: to move an entire family into a new place.

And now I am somewhat settled and ready to roll but my aging body is mocking me. I love the irony. My knee is still all wonked out. Didn’t hurt a bit in eight months of running last year but started hurting on my long run in November and now every time I get to mile one, the pain greets me like an old deranged friend. Pretty mad about that.

Started the half-marathon training program (AGAIN!!!--This time to run an ACTUAL half marathon instead of a carbon dioxide sucking, rainy/hailing 13 miles down Lake Rd. by myself) but not sure if I can do it.

The funny thing, though, is that I am determined. A woman who would only run while being chased a year ago is willing her uncooperative body to get on board. Exercising is harder than it should be and I am doing it anyway. Instead of giving in I am working to circumvent the knee, find other ways to fit in cardio and time in my day for icing and lifting. Kind of surprising, if I do say so myself.

All is not lost. Those miles last summer (and miles and miles) taught me something big. Keep at it. Keep breathing. Keep churning. And I am stronger than I thought.

No comments: