Monday, July 6, 2009

Petting Elephants

The scene is so vivid in my head, even after nearly two decades. I was dragging myself through the alley on my way to class that morning. My mind was brimming with details of the Just War Theory and Thich Nat Hahn for Fr. Susa’s discussion on Social Justice. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw some unexpected movement. Turning my head toward State Street, I encountered a line of elephants, horses, dogs and llamas meandering down the street. Seemed kind of hard to believe for a Wednesday morning, but I soon realized that the circus was in town. The Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey circus animals had arrived by train on the lakefront, and their trainers were walking them to their temporary home near the arena.

I continued on to class, my mind on the parade of pachyderms. I was just so intrigued to see my little college haven overrun by a single file line of beasts! My college was in downtown Erie, not some grassy campus, but still. Animal parades were not so common. I ditched my books after class and headed towards the train. It was parked on the bayfront, and I strolled past the first several cars. It soon became apparent that the circus performers lived on the train. I met a horse trainer, an acrobat, and the second string announcer. They were all willing to tell their story and let me in on the magic of their life. Not surprisingly, the guys who flew around in the ring of fire were not very friendly.

I then followed the path the elephants had taken just a few hours early. I found their makeshift home set up next to the arena where the circus was to be performed. The entrance to the animal tent was barricaded, and there were several trainers tending to the animals nearby. I called to get their attention. I think my innocent amazement shone through because after a few minutes of chit-chatting, the trainer invited me inside the tent. I was allowed to go back into the inner sanctum of animals. Petting the elephant was a privilege I hadn’t dreamed of, but all I had to do was ask! I even got to pet the rhinoceros. Every circus has to have at least one outlandish animal! I wandered around the tent a few more minutes before I headed back to campus.

I learned such an important lesson that day! All I had to do was ask and the world of the circus opened up. A little investigation and a smile went a long way to a great experience. And I got past the barricades simply by asking. That is such a great life lesson. A little hard work, kindness, and asking for what I want can go a long way.

I had forgotten this lesson for a while. Almost twenty years of grad school, teaching, giving birth and mothering had wiped away the lessons I learned from that day. Although elephants themselves have wonderful memories, I did not. I am starting to re-capture that feeling. That belief that I can do anything, that the world is open to my dreams, that I am as likely a candidate as any to pet a rhino. This doesn’t necessarily mean I will run away and join the circus, but I will take a chance and go back where you’re not allowed to go. Who knows what animals await!

No comments: