Sunday, March 27, 2011

Showing Up

Something new at age 39: a workout buddy. Reminds me of grade school field trips when I had to walk hand-in-hand with someone so as not to get lost. I guess it’s a lot like that actually. Our world is so busy, and it is really easy to get lost in the everyday, to go through the motions of living and get the laundry done and the dinner cooked and the kids bathed and the homework done and then collapse in a heap at the end of it all.

Exercise helps me to live with intention, and I like the idea of a workout pal to keep me on track and to keep me honest. This particular one is pretty relentless. Since we started this journey about ten months ago, Pat has texted me pretty much daily to report his workouts. This guy is faithful, and there are days that I growl as I hear the texting tone on my cell phone. He has shamed me into squeezing in a quick workout or taking a late night run because he is on track.

And that is good.

Lately we have been talking a lot about “showing up.” As our program has outlasted the honeymoon stage and we are now in the nitty-gritty of daily life with exercise, there are some days that the magic is just not there. But that is okay. Showing up is its own victory. Not every workout is Olympic caliber, nor should it be. This is a marathon, not a sprint. There will certainly be bad days and bad moments. But showing up and putting in the time are so important. To both of us.

I like that I am not the only one who will be disappointed if I do not make the effort. Pat keeps me moving and keeps my eyes on the prize. And I admit, there is something really wonderful about bragging to him about the big runs or achieving some goal that seemed impossible.

And the pride works both ways. I am amazed at his half-mile swims and long runs and the way he is pushing himself for a tri-athalon this summer.

It is fun to see that what we thought was only for “other, fit people” is now within OUR grasp. I was there for his first race, two crisp (mostly) uphill miles. And I will be there for his second race in a few weeks too. Double or nothing as we race four miles around a very flat course. These big moments are nice to share.

But mostly, I just appreciate the ding of the cell phone each day, the call to attention, the reminder to get up and move and make myself the woman I am meant to be. Like those field trip buddies from long ago, he keeps me from getting lost. And, most importantly, he keeps me showing up.

No comments: