Sunday, January 31, 2010

Happy Birthday Dad

Today is the seventy-fifth anniversary of his birth. And I mark it tonight, not with cake and balloons and song, but with a quiet moment of thanksgiving. If this were a wedding anniversary, it would be celebrated with diamonds. That is the traditional gift for a well-lived tandem ride of such length.

But I suppose it fits us too, my dad and I. The word diamond is Greek, and best translated to “unbreakable”. And that makes sense in my unbreakable broken heart tonight. Love is stronger than death, and diamonds themselves. It is tested in fire and buried in earth.

And I am thankful through these tears that on a cold, cold night three quarters of a century ago, he shuffled onto this mortal coil. Thankful for the lessons, and the love, and the bushels and bushels of memories in my unbreakable broken heart.

No comments: