Thursday, December 3, 2009

Earth, Wind and Fire

He runs like the wind, this son of mine,
Faster than the cheetah we visited at the zoo, he claims.
I know one thing for sure:
He doesn’t have any interest in walking. He zips through this house
And my heart without pausing.
Sometimes he grabs Ritz crackers off the counter as he whizzes by.
And eats them as he runs.
It’s a wonder he doesn’t choke.

He burns like a fire, this child of mine,
Hotter than the reddest coals in my fireplace, I see.
I know one thing for sure:
He has a temper that cannot be quenched with
The largest fireman’s hose.
Sometimes I think his head will explode right off his body
And spew shrapnel in my living room.
It’s a wonder he doesn’t ignite.

He settles close like the earth, sweet boy of mine,
Gentler than the caress of the softest, whitest sand.
I know one thing for sure:
He is the one who will care for me when I am old.
He has an empathy beyond his age
And treats the creatures of the earth with care and love.
He is a fiercely loyal friend and brother
It’s a wonder his heart doesn’t burst.

No comments: